In Memory of

LESLIE JOHN BEEBE

Gunner
835278
1 Bty., 2 Lt. A.A. Regt., Royal Artillery
who died on
Monday, 19th May 1941.


Commemorative Information

Cemetery: CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY, Egypt
Grave Reference/
Panel Number:
K. 28.
Location: This cemetery is within the Old Cairo cemetery area, which is situated approximately 5 kilometres south east of the centre of Cairo. The cemetery area is on the south side of the road Salah Salem, which runs west/east from the River Nile towards the green park area approximately 2 kilometres beyond and eventually towards the Citadel. The cemetery is surrounded by a high wall and the double entrance gates are along Sharia Abu Safein. This road is parallel with the railway line which runs south from Cairo main station and both railway and Sharia Abu Safein cross over the main road. Access up to Sharia Abu Safein is by using the northside ramp above the main road underpass, on the east side of the railway.

Historical Information: At the outbreak of the First World War Cairo was the Headquarters of the British garrison in Egypt, and the principal Military Hospital was in the Citadel at Cairo (built in the 12th century). With Alexandria, the city became the main hospital centre for Gallipoli in 1915, and throughout the War it dealt with sick and wounded from the Army in Egypt, and later in Palestine. Many British, Commonwealth and Allied Military Hospitals were set up in and around Cairo during both World Wars, as well as hospitals for Prisoners of War. Cairo War Memorial Cemetery was formerly part of Cairo New British Protestant Cemetery, Plots B, D, F, H, K, M, O, P and Q which were ceded to the Imperial War Graves Commission in 1920; and 65 graves were brought into it later, of which 42 came from the New British Protestant Cemetery. The unused ground was utilised for burials of the 1939-1945 War. There are 2056, 1914-1918 and 340, 1939-1945 war casualties commemorated in this cemetery as well as 3 Foreign National and 15 non-world war casualties.