||UDEN WAR CEMETERY, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
|2. E. 3.
||Uden is a town on the main road between
Eindhoven and Nijmegen. The War Cemetery is 350 metres from the centre
of the town on the Nijmegen road, at the junction with the road to
Zeeland. The cemetery is also signposted on the N265 Uden-Eindhoven.
||Until its liberation in September 1944, Uden
was occupied by the Germans. In the earlier years of the war British and
Allied servicemen were buried in the garden of the parish priest, which
adjoined the Roman Catholic Cemetery. Later it became necessary to
provide another burial ground for them, and in 1943 the municipality
acquired for this purpose the Roman Catholic Cemetery, unused since
about 1918. The cemetery is enclosed by the high brick wall originally
built around the old church and churchyard. (the church was burnt down
in the 1870's and a new one was built elsewhere in the town.) After the
war more than 100 graves from the garden of the parish priest, and also
a number of isolated graves from various parts of the commune, were
moved into this cemetery.