In Memory of


11th Bn., Royal Fusiliers
who died on
Sunday, 2nd July 1916.

Commemorative Information

Grave Reference/
Panel Number:
II. A. 14.
Location: Daours is a village in the Department of the Somme, about 10 kilometres east of Amiens and is north-west of Villers-Bretonneux. Go through the village of Corbie on the D1 in the direction of Fouilloy-Amiens (A1 Paris) and then enter and travel through the village of Fouilloy on the D1 in the direction of Daours-Amiens (A16). Enter Daours and at the traffic lights turn right in the direct of Pont-Noyelle on the D115 - where the first CWGC signpost will be seen. Carry on for 0.4 kilometres and Daours Communal Cemetery is on the left hand side of the road. The Extension is on the south side of the Communal Cemetery.

Historical Information: One British burial took place in the Communal Cemetery in February, 1916 and one in May; but the preparations for the Somme offensive of July, 1916, involved a grouping of Casualty Clearing Stations (the 1st/1st South Midland, 21st, 34th, 45th and Lucknow, section "B") at Daours, and the Extension was opened on the South side of the Communal Cemetery. The burials of June-November, 1916, are in Plots I and II, Row "A" of Plot III, and the Indian Plot. The British advance took the hospitals with it, and the next burials took place in April, 1918, when the Germans recovered the ground they had lost. From April to the middle of August, 1918, the Extension was almost a front-line cemetery. In August and September, 1918, the Casualty Clearing Stations came forward again (the 5th, 37th, 41st, 53rd, 55th and 61st); but in September the cemetery was closed again except for the two Chinese burials in November, 1918. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. In addition, special memorials are erected to four men of the Chinese labour corps who died in August 1918 and were buried in the White Chateau Cemetery. The cemetery covers an area of 4,552 square metres.